February 18, 2010

Brooklyn Pilsner from Brooklyn Brewery

By Don

Hey, yous guys, you want some Pilsner ova here?  Time for a brew from another one of our favorite breweries ... Brooklyn Brewery of Brooklyn, New York.

I've had many of the Brooklyn varieties and we'll get to more of those later.

One day out on the road, I stopped in to a close-out store.  While walking around in the kitchen section, I spotted some great deals on glassware.  I'm always looking for more cool glassware to add to my collection.  Beer tastes so much better poured into the right glass.

Anyway, I noticed some tulip-shaped "pilsners."  Four dollars for 2 glasses!!! How can you pass up that deal?!?!?!?!

On my way home later that day, Lori called me to pick up a few things from the grocery store.  (Do you see where this story is heading?  Just bought some new pilsner glasses and I'm in the grocery store.)

So, of course, I had to pick up a pilsner to try out my new glassware.  Right in the middle of the Brooklyn varities in the cooler, I saw it ... "Brooklyn Pilsner."  I grabbed the 6-pack and headed home.

The Brooklyn website says that this one is brewed in the tradition of New York's pre-Prohibition brewers.  It's brewed with European two-row barley malts and German-grown hops.  It has a nice golden color with a little cloudiness.  Not much of a head and it diminished pretty quickly.  Brooklyn Pilsner has a nice malty sweet aroma.  The malts give it a nice sweet initial taste and then the hops step in and smack you in the back of the throat.  5.1% ABV on this one.

Once again, Lori doesn't like hoppy beers, but liked her taste of Brooklyn Pilsner.

Brooklyn suggests steak, sausages, shell fish, Vietnamese, Thai and Indian as good food pairings.  I had it with my favorite spinach & feta chicken sausage and these awesome corn fritters that my wife makes along this this incredible spicy tomato and chick pea soup and it was a nice compliment.

All in all, a nice, refreshing Pilsner from Brooklyn Brewery.

Cheers!

---------------------
RICK'S REVIEW....


“A rose is a rose is a rose.”  But what kind is it?!  Is “a pilsner is a pilsner is a pilsner”?!

One of the great joys of trying different beers is tasting the wide variety of different styles/ types.  We’re all different and so are our tastes.  My dad used to say: “That’s why there’s different kinds of vanilla ice cream.”  I guess the same philosophy can apply to beer!

The term pilsner comes from Pilsen- a city in what is now the Czech Republic.  This type of lager was popularized w-a-y back in the 1840s.  Brooklyn Brewery’s Pilsner may not be the same as those European-style pilsners, but I think it’s quite a tasty American pilsner.  Check out their website ( www.brooklynbrewery.com )for more information on their great beers.

This brew pours a beautiful golden-yellow with a frothy white head.  Its aroma is tantalizing- a wonderful mix of hops and malts.  Instead of being “bitter”, it’s crisp and tart!  Some may not like its effervescence, but I loved it!  What a great clean finish too!

You can serve up this pils (5.1%ABV) with a variety of hearty foods; it certainly can hold its own in the flavor department!
“A good beer is a good beer is a good beer!”
Cheers!          

No comments:

Post a Comment