November 07, 2010

Olde School Barleywine from Dogfish Head Craft Brewing

By Don

Dogfish Head does it again!  This is another one that's more like a wine than a beer, but it's so delicious it doesn't matter.

I came home from work on Friday afternoon and Lori said, "Bud brought you a present."  I know that typically means that Bud brought me over a new brew that he's discovered.

I opened up the fridge and there it was ... Olde School Barleywine from Dogfish Head.

Olde School is a limited "occasional rarity" from the folks at Dogfish.  It's a barleywine style brewed with dates and figs and it packs a wallop!!!  15% ABV!!!  It's released in the fall - around November.  The Dogfish Head website suggests that you enjoy a couple bottles and then let the others age for a bit and drink them later.  Good idea!  I'd love to try that, but I don't think I could wait!

I took out my tulip pilsner glass and opened up the bottle.  What a beautiful amber color!  Great aroma.  Nice lacing on the glass.  This is definitely a sipping beer.  I poured mine at the start of a Sunday afternoon football game and sipped it through the entire game.  It's a good fall beer -- good for a cold, cloudy, rainy or snowy day.  It makes you feel all warm inside! :-)

So, pick up some "Olde School" while you have the chance!  Just don't overdo it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment