February 07, 2010

Fireside Nut Brown from Leinenkugel's Brewing Company

By Don

We head up to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin for this one as we take a tase of Fireside Nut Brown from Leinenkugel's Brewing Company.

Leinenkugel's brews one of our favorite summer beers, "Sunset Wheat."  But I'll let Rick review that one and we'll save it for when it gets warmer.

I'm a big fan of brown ales.  When choices are limited, I can usually find New Castle Brown Ale and do enjoy that brew.

There's not much of a story behind my discovery of Fireside Nut Brown.  Already being a fan of Sunset Wheat and looking for something seasonal, I spotted Fireside Nut Brown and thought I'd give it a try.

I really enjoy the roasted malt flavor of a brown ale and love that great amber color.  Fireside Nut Brown has nice hints of maple, chocolate, hazelnut and caramel.  It's brewed with English two-row barley malt.  At just 4.9% ABV, you can have a couple "Leinies" in front of the fireplace after you finish shoveling all that snow!

This is another seasonal brew, only brewed in November and December.  So, you may have trouble finding it now, but put it on your list for later this year.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Don snuck a bottle of Fireside Nut Brown into my cooler a few weeks ago and I picked it up out of the fridge on a snowy day yesterday to give it a try.

    Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown. Need I say more?!

    The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company states on its labels that it's "the pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867". They must be doing something right to last for over 140 years!

    Nut Brown Ales have been around a long time too. But mind you: this "Leinie" Fireside Nut Brown is billed as a seasonal lager (4.9% ABV)- so be ready for a slightly different taste.

    And in this case- I think that difference is good! It's a bit lighter than other nut brown ales I've tasted. It still pours a nice golden brown color- with a nice head- and leaves some nice lacing in your favorite pub glass.

    Even though it may be a lighter taste- don't be afraid to pair this Leinie up with your favorite winter foods; it will hold its own! I'm thinkin' grilled burgers, chili, baked beans... or how about some (sweet potato) French fries?!

    Add the fireside for even more winter enjoyment! (And save a Leinie for the roasted marshmallows!)

    Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown. Need I say more? How about.... CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete