February 01, 2010

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales


By Don

You'll read a lot about Dogfish Head on this blog as it's one of our favorite brewers. But the reason why one of their beers is the first to be reviewed is more about the story behind how I discovered it than it is about how much I enjoyed it.

It was a chilly Saturday night in January. I had a fire going in the fireplace upon the suggestion of my wife and youngest daughter. We were settling in for a quiet evening. Suddenly, the phone rang. It was the wife of my neighbor Bud from across the street saying that he was bringing a present over for me.

There was a knock at the door. I answered and without saying a word, Bud handed me a bottle of Palo Santo Marron. I asked him where he got it as I had never seen it locally at any of the bottle shops. "Don't worry about it." Bud shouted as he ran back across the street.

I studied the bottle. One of my favorite things about discovering a new brew is checking out the label. I love to read the story about the beer and see what it's all about.

My first question was the name. The label had the answer. This beer is aged in wooden tanks made from Paraguayan Palo Santo wood. My second question was the ABV. TWELVE PERCENT!?!?!?!?! Is this a wine or a beer? :-) Well, I didn't want to fall asleep by 8pm, so I decided to leave this new tasty treat for the next day.

Lunchtime came around on Sunday, so I made my way to the kitchen to scavenge for something to eat. My wife had made her famous wheat crust pizza on Friday night and there were still a few pieces left with turkey pepperoni, roasted red peppers, artichokes and mozzerella cheese. I turned the oven on and put the pizza in.

Next, it was time to pour. I got my Dogfish Head pint glass out and slowly poured. It's not hard to pour this one slowly, 'cause this malty brown ale is thick!

I took the pizza out of the oven and began my meal. The caramel and vanilla in the beer were a nice compliment to the pizza. The Dogfish website lists steak, chorizzo sausage, cajun cuisine and farmhouse cheddar as recommended food pairings. This is definitely a sipping beer. At 12% make sure you don't have anything important to do when tasting this one. I'd put this one in my "Winter" category as well. This is a great beer to enjoy on a cold winter night in front of the fire.

After I finished, I had to call Rick and tell him about my new discovery. He had just returned home from a conference where he had discovered a new beer (but I'll let him tell you about that). During that conversation, we decided that we should start a blog and tell everyone about our new discoveries.

And, so it begins.

Welcome to The Beer Buzz by Don & Rick.

Now, go get yourself some Palo Santo Marron and a steak!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! You're making me wish for the whole deal right now!

    ReplyDelete