October 24, 2011

Okto Festival Ale from Widmer Brothers Brewing

By Don

I do love the Fall.  It's my favorite time of the year in more ways than one.  It's a great time for beer lovers too.

I went to Wegman's the other day looking for some Dogfish Punkin Ale but couldn't find any, so I decided to create my own "Mix Pack."  I decided on 6 Fall beers including many Oktoberfest selections.

One that I picked up is our first offering from Widmer Brothers Brewing on this blog.  Widmer Brothers started in 1984 in Portland, Oregon.  They specialize in some seasonal and specialty beers and the one that I picked up is their Okto Festival Ale.

Okto is a full-bodied ale inspired by traditional Bavarian Oktoberfest beers.

Okto pours to a beautiful copper color.  It has a minimal head that dissipated quickly, but there was some nice lacing on the glass.

It has a slight caramel aroma and uses 2 hops and 4 different malts.

I really liked this one.  It has an initial malt sweetness, but then hits you in the back of the throat with a nice bitter hop kick.

It's crisp, but also has a bit of a coating feeling in your mouth.

This is a nice drinking Ale and is available from August through October.  So, you'd better hurry if you want some this year!

It's 5.3% ABV and clocks in at 28 IBUs.

Good stuff from the Pacific Northwest!

Prost!  (Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment