May 25, 2011

Red's Rye P.A. from Founders Brewing

By Don

Ahhh, birthdays. If your friends know you well, they know what you like and that means ... beer! Rick knows that I love my Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and he always gets me some for my birthday. (Thanks Rick!)

I recently celebrated my xxth birthday. I got home from a late meeting and there was a knock at the door. It was Bud and Sharon from across the street. And Bud had something behind his back! It was a "Mix-Pack" of 6 different beers. Yes, he knows me well!

I checked out the 6 beers and decided to try the Founders "Red's Rye P.A." I did really enjoy the Saranac Rye IPA from previous post.

Founders Brewing Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan has some interesting brews in their lineup and Red's Rye P.A. is one of their 5 year-round selections.

Red's looks just like it's name. It's a copper/red color with a minimal frothy head. Take a good whiff and you'll get two nostrils full of the citrusy aroma -- especially a grapefruit bouquet from the Amarillo hops.

It has an initial sweet taste, but then the hops get you in the back of the throat. I found that the longer I drank this one, the more it "bit" me, but the bitterness is not overwhelming. Red's Rye P.A. clocks in at 70 IBU's.

It's "crisp" but not over-carbonated. And it's just 6.6% ABV.

This could be an every day beer. I don't think it will compete with your meal.

Another strong offering from the folks at Founders!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment