August 08, 2010

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager from Blue Dawg Brewing

By Don

This one really took me by surprise.  I put together a "Mix Pack" of my own today.  One that caught my eye was Wild Blue Blueberry Lager from Blue Dawg Brewing of Baldwinsville, New York.  I was thinking about my Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale and how much I enjoyed that one.

This was a completely different experience - but not necessarily in a bad way -- just unexpected.

Blue Dawg Brewing is a group within Anheuser-Busch, Inc. -- something else I didn't know when I picked up the bottle.

I was thinking that this might be a typical lager with some hints of blueberry.  Boy, was I wrong.  This one pours more like a hard cider than a lager.  It actually looks like it could be a hard grape juice!  It has a slight pink head of foam.

Wild Blue is definitely a dessert beer or maybe as a Summer Lawn Mowing beer.  That was my experience with it today.  I had just finished cleaning out the garage and mowing the lawn.  It was a hot day in August -- not much wind and I was sweating.

I opened up the beer fridge and thought that the Blueberry lager might be refreshing.

Wild Blue is 8% ABV.  It is blended with all-natural blueberry syrup made from real blueberries.  It drinks more like a wine cooler than a lager, but if you like wine coolers and don't typically like beer, this one might be for you.  It's a bit too sweet for my taste.  I could have one, every once in awhile, but would make it more of a dessert beer and pair it with something complementary.

The Wild Blue website says that pork dishes are a good pairing.  A mixed-green salad with dried fruit is also suggested.  I'm sticking with the dessert beer idea.

Cheers!

CATEGORY: Dessert Beer

1 comment:

  1. This is Lorrell's favorite beer, and yes it is brewed at the Budweiser brewery here in the Syracuse area. Interesting thing about that brewery is they are brewing most of the "craft beers" that Anheuser-Busch is putting out on the market right now. Lorrell actually won me a new gas grill by pairing this beer with a blueberry burger for a burger cook-off at the New York State Fair in 2010.

    ReplyDelete