March 19, 2011

Double Trouble Imperial IPA by Founders Brewing Company

By Don

I believe this is our first review of an offering from Founders Brewing Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan!  Founders was "founded" by Mike Stevens and Dave Engbers.  
According to their website, they were on the verge of bankruptcy after brewing some "unremarkable beers" when they decided that they shouldn't brew for the masses, but brew for a select few that enjoy beers that push the limits -- 
complex, in-your-face ales, with huge aromatics, bigger body, and tons of flavor.  I think I like these guys!!!

The way they described their beers in general is a perfect way to describe "Double Trouble."  This beer is definitely complex, in-your-face with a huge aroma and TONS of flavor.  Speaking of face, the bottle has a double face on it.  You can look at the bottle right-side-up or upside-down and it makes a face.  Just make sure that you don't turn the bottle upside down with beer in it! :-)

Recently, my Rotary Club had a get-together and we did a beer tasting.  Everyone brought a six-pack of their favorite beer and we all sampled the others.  Many that were trying the "bigger beers" like the IPA's were wincing as they tasted.  I picked up Double Trouble and thought that I might have found a new friend!

At the end of the party, everyone took a couple bottles of the ones they liked.  I snatched up a Double Trouble.

Of course, if  you've read this blog from the beginning, you know that my favorite beer of all time is Dogfish Head's "90 Minute IPA."  So, I like big IPA's with huge flavor and aroma.

Double Trouble pours to a golden yellow with a nice frothy head that sticks around.  Good lacing on the glass as well.  It has a strong citrus aroma.

This one gets you on both ends!  It has a strong hop kick in the front and back of the throat with a sweet taste in the middle.  It's not overly carbonated.

This is more of a sipping beer because of the ABV and the hoppiness.  It's 9.4% ABV and clocks in at 86 IBU's.  Wow!  I guess it really is "Double Trouble!"

Good stuff from Founders.  I want to try more!
Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. I too was a big fan of this. Nicely written, Be sure to check out my review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stuff. Bright citrus and plenty a great aroma. I think the 2011 version was a step above the 2010 in both aroma and flavor. Seems they may have added some Citra hops to it also. Looking forward to it returning next January.

    ReplyDelete