June 10, 2011

Summer Love from Victory Brewing Company

By Don

Summer of 1967.  The "Summer of Love!"  A great time in the history of rock & roll.  Actually, I was born exactly nine months after the Summer of Love ended.  I'll have to ask my parents about that one! :-)

Now, flash forward to the present.  Lori had asked for a beer the day before and I realized that I didn't really have anything that she liked so I went to the store to get her some Oberon Ale.  I walked around and looked for something "summery" since it had been so hot.

And, then I saw it... "Summer Love Ale" from the folks at Victory Brewing in Downingtown, PA.  They call it the "Flavor of the Season."

We were having a summertime-type meal that night -- including some watermelon.  So, I took out a bottle of Summer Love to add to the meal.

Summer Love Ale pours to a golden yellow with a big, frothy head that dissipated quickly, but did have some nice lacing on the glass.  This is a "fizzy" beer.

The aroma was a bit puzzling for me but did have some hints of citrus from the American whole flower hops.  Summer Love does have a nice hop kick with a little bitter bite in the back of the throat.  I actually squeezed a lime in it!

This would be a good summer.  Mow the lawn, pop open a Summer Love while listening to "Summer Rain" from Johnny Rivers (a song that sings about the Summer of Love and mentions "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band).

Happy Summer!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment