November 16, 2010

Holy Grail Ale from Black Sheep Brewery

By Guest Reviewer, Joseph Moore of Columbus, Ohio

As a man, I am attracted to small shiny objects and susceptible to impulse buys. This was one.  How can I pass on a six pack of Monty Python Holy (Gr)ail Ale (from Black Sheep Brewery in North Yorkshire, England)?  Says right on the label, "tempered over burning witches."  I took it home, along with a herring and the most recent edition of the Book of Armaments.

It is beautiful in the glass, reminding me more of rose champagne, one that is nice, and not too expensive.  Amber with a little honey color and very effervescent.  I could not wait to see if the flavors jumped out of the glass, taking my taste buds by surprise, not only by surprise, but totally unarmed.

Balance, just like finding if a witch weighs as much as a duck in order to determine if she is made of wood, is very important to me for wine and beer.  This ale does have balance.  The light apple cider and touch of caramel sweetness is equaled by the crispness and even chalky characteristics.  Only problem, there isn't enough of either side.  The flavor gets washed away quickly, leaving the chalky coating on the back of the tongue along with a tickle of lemon, honey and caramel (just not enough of any).  The flavor could be carried off by a European swallow.  But this is supposed to be a happy occasion, let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

Is it bad?  No.  It is fine. (4.7% ABV, by the way)   I was hoping for this to be equal to the packaging, but no huge tracks of land.  I would wait for a hot day after mowing the lawn, and this would hit the spot if you had five, I mean three.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment