March 10, 2013

Blowing Rock High Country Ale from Boone Brewing

By Rick

Ahh…  it’s winter in Central PA.  What better time to sample some different beer?!
My latest “Beer of the Month” shipment recently arrived, so Don & I combined business with pleasure by decorating his parents’ house while sipping some samples.

The first one we tried was Blowing Rock High Country Ale from the Boone Brewing Company in Boone, NC.  Check out their website to learn more about this microbrewery.  BTW: they’re doing some contract brewing- “shipping out” some beers to be bottled in other facilities.  Some “purists” may not approve of this type of venture, but I think it’s a great way for “young breweries” (2005)  to manage their costs until they’re financially stable.  (Sam Adams/ Boston Brewing started this way!)

I consider High Country Ale a good primer for those venturing into the (wonderful) world of ales.  It pours clear and golden- with a frothy beige-white head.  There is a slight, but not overwhelming hint of a hoppy aroma as I raise my glass to my lips.  I experienced an enjoyably crisp and effervescent taste with a clean finish.  Pair this brew with your light snacks/ veggies; it won’t overpower them.  I couldn’t find its ABV, but I would guess it falls into the traditional American ale ABV- somewhere between 4- 5%.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment