April 25, 2010

American Pale Ale from Stoudt's Brewing Company

By Don

On a recent trip to New York City, I was excited to discover that Pennsylvania's own "Stoudt's Brewing" was doing a tasting at an NYC pub while I was going to be there!  I was additionally excited to find out that none other than Carol Stoudt - the "Queen of Hops" would be there in person!  It would be the first "event coverage" for The Beer Buzz.

Once in NYC, I called the pub to ask about the event.  It was also a restaurant and the tasting started at 4 in the afternoon.  But, since I was traveling with my family and had my teenage daughters with me, the gentleman from the pub who answered the phone STRONGLY discouraged me from attending.  Oh well, maybe next time.

But, that didn't stop me from picking up a six pack of Stoudt's American Pale Ale when I got back to PA.

Stoudt's is another fine craft brewer from the great state of Pennsylvania.  They can trace their history back to the early 60s and Stoudt's Kountry Kitchen, but Stoudt's Brewing Company was officially established in 1987.

American Pale Ale is a good pour with a nice light amber color.  APA gives up a nice, frothy head.  Good lacing on the glass as well.  Lift the glass to your lips and you'll get the nice, fruity smell of the hops.

Take your first sip and your tastebuds are met with a crisp taste.  It gives you a nice bite of hops, but it's not overwhelming.  This might be another one that could help "ease" you into the bitters.

According to the Stoudt's website, this one is 5% ABV and it has an IBU (bitterness) of 41.

This one is a great flagship beer from the fine Stoudt family.  I guess I'll just have to drive over to Adamstown if I want to meet the "Queen of Hops" herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment