February 19, 2012

Stegmaier Winter Warmer from The Lion Brewery

By Don

Even though it's been a pretty mild winter, I wanted a something to warm me up on these 'cool' winter evenings.

So, as I was checking out the beer coolers, I saw Stegmaier Winter Warmer.  I picked up a bottle for a closer look.  Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania!!!  ANOTHER PA Brewer!?!?!?!?

Of course, I had to check it out.

The Lion Brewery was founded in 1905 and is one of the oldest breweries in PA.  They brew beers under the "Lion's Head" and "Stegmaier" labels as well as producing "Olde Philadelphia Gourmet Sodas."

I was watching a lot of "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" this afternoon and was really in the mood for some bangers and mash.  I went to the store and got some beer brats.  Lori fixed up some great garlic mashed potatoes and corn.  I went out to the beer fridge and grabbed one of my Stegmaier Winter Warmers.

Winter Warmer pours to a beautiful amber color with a nice frothy head that stuck around.  Great lacing on the glass as well.

I got some toffee hints in the aroma as well as some spices.

The taste has some hints of caramel and dried fruits.  More spice in the taste as well.  There was a nice bite at the end too.  I found that this one had more of a bitter bite, the longer I drank it.

It goes down smooth and has that warming feeling going down your throat that you expect in a beer of this type.  It's 7.8% ABV.

If only it was a little colder outside, this one would work even better!  But I'm not complaining.  It was a good compliment to my bangers and mash too.

More great beer from the Commonwealth!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment