March 10, 2013

I Hardcore You Imperial IPA from Brew Dog/Mikkeller Brewing

By Don

So, at my recent trip to the "Hop Shop" in State College, I had filled my "Create Your Own 6-pack" and I stepped up to the counter.  I was still thinking that I'd like to try something else.  I didn't really want to get a pint or litre bottle of anything because I wasn't planning any tasting parties anytime soon.

I had been having a great beer conversation with the Hop Shop Beer Connoisseur and he said, "If you like Double IPA's, you might want to try this one."

He walked over to a shelf and picked up a bottle with a strange looking label and said, "I really like this one."

"I Hardcore You" is a limited release partnership between Brewdog Brewing in Aberdeen, Scotland and Mikkeller of Denmark.  It combines Brewdog's "Hardcore IPA" and Mikkeller's "I Beat You."  Always up for discovering something new, I picked up a bottle and made it a "7-pack!" :-)

Rick and I were moving some furniture for my Mom.  After we were done, my Mom made a great lunch of stuffed shells, sausage, salad and garlic bread.  For the Beer Buzz Beer Buddies, we thought it would be a good time to do some sampling.  Rick brought 4 of his recent "Beer of the Month" brews and I brought my bottle of I Hardcore You.

Being an Imperial India Pale Ale, we saved this one for last.  At 9.5% ABV, it was probably better to get a good "base" down in our stomachs anyway! :-)

I Hardcore You pours to a pretty golden amber or caramel color.  It had a finger or so of head which slowly dissipated, but left good lacing on the glass and left a coating on the top that remained though our tasting.  At 9.5%, you definitely see the alcohol clinging to the glass.

Lift the glass to your nose and get two nostrils full of the fruity, citrusy aroma.

As we were sampling, we were letting my Mom have a sip of each one.  She liked the Helles Lager that we sampled, but as we got to the Pale Ales and IPAs, she was grimacing with each taste.  When she tasted this one, she said, "Oh my God!  That's the worst one!"

So, Rick and I knew we probably had a good one here!  :-)

If you don't like hoppy beers, you'll want to stay away from IPAs -- especially Imperial IPAs.

But with this one, Rick and I found it to be very drinkable.  I've read some other reviews and possibly since this one was a limited release and of course had to be shipped over from 'across the pond,' maybe the hops are a little more subdued than they would be if you were having this on tap.

This was a great tasting and easy drinking Imperial IPA.  It was best saved for last.  This would be a better after dinner drink than to have it competing with your meal.

You get a nice caramel or honey taste.  The malt seems to overtake the hops on this one giving you more of a coating feeling.  The bitter hop taste is a bit more subdued, but you still to a little hop kick.

Rick shared that this was his favorite of the tasting.

Unfortunately, being a limited release, if you can't find this one where you are, you probably won't find it again. :-(

Good stuff from 'across the pond!'

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment