January 30, 2011

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.

By Don

Ok, I know.  This is supposed to be a blog about interesting craft brews.  So, what am I doing reviewing a beer from one of the "Big 3?"

I needed to pick up a beer with a more "universal" appeal.  For the rest of you craft brew lovers, you know how it is.  Someone comes over to your house who thinks that all beer is just "beer" and when you ask what they'd like, they say, "Whatever you have."  Well, that's a tough question.  So, you look in the beer fridge and try to grab something that they won't be too afraid of.

The other day, I stopped off to pick up that "universal" beer.  I thought about just getting a 12-pack of Yuengling.  Most people who don't like craft brews can drink lagers like Yuengling.  Then, I remembered that I had just watched the movie "Anchorman" the night before.  If you've seen the movie, in the scene right after the big "rumble" with the other news teams, they are all drinking Miller High Lifes in Ron Burgundy's office.  I grabbed a 12-pack of Miller High Life.  And the best part?  It was only $8.99!!!

If I'm ever in a situation where there are only beers from the "Big 3" available, I will pick up a Miller High Life.  After all, it is the "Champagne of Bottled Beers!"  I like the "throw back" look of the bottling.  I said to Rick today that when I drink a Miller High Life, I feel like it's 1956.  I'm sitting in my garage wearing a white t-shirt, jean shorts, white tube socks and black shoes while watching the kids riding their bikes down the street with baseball cards stuck in the spokes.

High Life pours to a golden, straw yellow.  It has a full, frothy head that sticks around for a long time and sticks to the side of the glass.  It's clean and crisp with a little bit of hop bite.  This is a beer that won't compete with your food, so you could have it with a meal.  It has just the right amount of carbonation.  It's an easy drink and clocks in at 5% ABV.

Check out the Miller High Life website and maybe you can even get sponsored!!!

So, if your forced to drink a beer from one of the mega-breweries, consider the High Life!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment