August 08, 2010

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company

By Don

My wife recently went to Chicago to visit her sister.  When she goes, they usually make a trip to Trader Joe's and that means that she brings me back a treat!!!

This year's trip, she brought me back a "Mix Pack."  That's a 6-pack where you get to choose individual beers.  She named it a "Mix Pack."

One of the beers in my treat was "Hop Ottin' IPA" from Anderson Valley Brewing Company of Boonville, California.  My wife cooked up some incredible Eggplant Parmesan and we set up to eat outside on a beautiful summer night and I grabbed my Hop Ottin' out of the beer fridge.

AVBC began brewing in 1987 in picturesque Boonville in Northern California.

According to the AVBC website, Hop Ottin' means "hard working hops" in "Boontling."  Apparently, Boonville has its' own language!!!

It pours to a nice amber color and has a good, frothy head.  Great aroma of caramel along with the hoppy floral smell and some hints of citrus as well.
This one is HOPPY!  High-alpha Pacific Northwest hops are added during boiling.  It's also dry hopped giving you a a real kick in the taste buds!  It clocks in at 80 on the IBU scale -- now that's hoppy!  It's 7% ABV.

If you like hops, this could be an everyday beer.  If you're not a huge hop fan, this one might be more of a "Special Occasion Beer."

I don't know how to say it in "Boontling," so I'll just say ....

CHEERS!

CATEGORY: Everyday Beer for Hop Lovers / Special Occasion Beer for Everyone Else

1 comment:

  1. Hop Ottin' is awesome! Cheers in Boontling is "Bahl Hornin" (literally "good drinking.")

    Bahl Hornin to us all!

    ReplyDelete