January 15, 2012

5 Vulture from 5 Rabbit Cerveceria


By Don

It's a bitter cold Sunday afternoon.  I was settling in to watch the NFL Divisional Playoff Games.  I wanted something to warm me up.  I remembered that there was still some chili left in the fridge that Lori had made this past week.  I asked her if, by chance, we had any french fries.  "Yep, there's a bag in the freezer," she replied.  I also remembered that we had a bag of shredded cheddar cheese.  Yum!

Then, it was out to the beer fridge.  I was planning on having another one of the beers that my sister-in-law Lisa gave me when we were in Chicago and then I remembered something else.  One of the beers she gave me is brewed with roasted Ancho chile!

I could already tell that it was setting up to be a great experience!

The idea for 5 Rabbit Cerveceria, from Chicago, was actually born in 2007, but it wasn't until 2010 that the idea came to fruition.  5 Rabbit brews are available only around Chicagoland.  Too bad.

The name 5 Rabbit comes from Aztec mythology and their other beers have names like 5 Flower, 5 Lizard and 5 Grass.

5 Vulture is an Oaxacan-Style Dark Ale and it pours to a beautiful amber color.  It has a nice frothy head that dissipated quickly but left a nice coating at the top.  The aroma has strong hints of caramel sweetness.  5 Vulture is also brewed with Piloncillo sugar.  At first taste, the sweetness of the sugar takes control, but then the hints of the Ancho chile give you a nice spicy finish without being overwhelming.

This beer is crisp, but gives you a nice coating feeling.  It was a nice compliment to my chili dish.

5 Vulture clocks in at 6.4% ABV.

I think I'm going to have to head back to Chicago soon.  Great stuff from 5 Rabbit!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment