May 31, 2010

Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery

By Don


My wife Lori and I have always said that when you're looking for a new house, it's often that the house finds you more than you find it. That brings me to my latest beer finding....

Lori and I recently went on a weekend trip back to our college town of Athens, Ohio. Sunday morning, the car was packed up and we were going to meet our friends at our favorite place for breakfast, Casa Nueva. I had brought some PA beer with me for the weekend and we had 5 miscellaneous bottles left at the bottom of the cooler swimming in the melted ice water.

So, when we went into Casa, I asked the nice young lady behind the bar if I could have an empty 6-pack bottle carrier so that my remaining bottles wouldn't be rolling around in the cooler for the drive home. She graciously obliged and handed me an empty 6 pack carrier with a yellow sun on the middle. It read, "Oberon Ale."

I didn't think much of it. I just put my remaining bottles in the carrier, dumped out the rest of the ice water and repacked the car.

Upon our return home, we had some yard work to do. It was a hot, sunny day. So, I decided to head to the store and pick up a nice cold treat for after the work was done.

As I stood looking at the coolers, I spotted that yellow sun again. As I looked closer, I read that it was Bell's "Oberon Ale." My sister-in-law Lisa in Chicago is always asking if I've tried any of the Bell's varieties yet. I've had their "Two Hearted Ale," but it's been awhile since I had it.

So, all that being said, I think that Oberon Ale found me more than I found it! :-)

Oberon is from Bell's Brewery from Comstock, Michigan. The outside of the 6-pack says that Oberon has the "color and scent of a sunny afternoon." I couldn't agree more.

This is truly a beer that you drink on a hot day after doing some work in the yard. It's very crisp with a nice initial kick. Not too hoppy, but enough of a hop kick to make you notice.

It's 5.8% ABV and brewed with Saaz hops. As the website says, it's "spicy and fruity." This one would be nice for a summer picnic - maybe with an orange slice, if you so desire.

So, the next time you're at your favorite beer store, let a beer find you instead of looking for it.  You may have a nice surprise!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment