January 12, 2011

Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Co.

By Don

I LOVE telling the story about how I got this one!

It was December 5, 2010 - a Sunday.  And, of course, in my house, that means a FOOTBALL Sunday.  Typically, living here in Central Pennsylvania, we get the Pittsburgh Steelers game.  The Steelers were playing the Sunday night game, so we were going to see another game locally.

It just so happens that the game we got was the Cleveland Browns against the Miami Dolphins.  My neighbor Tom is a Dolphins fan and I am a Browns fan (kinda).

I called Tom Sunday morning and said, "So, are we betting something on this game?"  Tom said, "How 'bout $100?"  Having no faith whatsoever in the Browns, I suggested a 6-pack of beer of the losers choice.

Well, somehow the Browns pulled out a 13-10 victory.  Beer was coming my way!!!

A few days later, I came home and Lori said, "Tom brought you something."  I know what that meant ... a new brew!  I opened my beer fridge and saw a 6-pack of Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  I think he called me an Old Brown Dog when he was dropping it off.

This one pours to a nice light brown appearance with some head that dissipated quickly.  It has a faint caramel aroma.  This one is crisp.  I got some initial bite and a little bitterness in the back of the throat.  It's well carbonated, bun not overwhelming.  I felt it was a smooth drink.

It's 6.5% ABV and you can find out more on the Smuttynose website.

Go Browns!!!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment