March 08, 2013

Very Mad Cow Milk Stout from Revolution Brewing

By Don

My sister-in-law visited us from Chicago for Christmas this year and you know what that means?  BEER!

Lisa has great taste in beer and always picks up some great selections that are only available in the midwest.

My absolute favorite this time around was 'Very Mad Cow' Milk Stout from Revolution Brewing in Chi-town.

This is one that we didn't get a chance to sample when Lisa and Dominic were here, but she left it for me to try later.

We had some people over on Sunday, December 30th for the Browns vs. Steelers game - last game of the season.  It was a meaningless game with both teams out of the playoffs, but with me being a Browns fan and Rick (and many of my neighbors) being a Steelers fan, it's always a fun rivalry.

After we were well into the game (and into a few beers), I pulled out the bottle of Very Mad Cow Milk Stout.  I apologize for the picture, but as I said, we were several beers into the afternoon!  :-)

The first reaction that everyone had as they sampled it was...WOW! What is this?

Very Mad Cow pours to a nice, dark, maple brown without much of a head (but you don't need it!).

This Milk Stout is aged in Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels so you get that bourbon, woody oak aroma.  I think I should have poured this one into a brandy snifter or something, but it was a sampling so everyone just got a small sample.

The taste is smooth with a nice bourbon flavor up front with some chocolate hints and maybe a little coffee in there for good measure.

It's 9.7% ABV and just 30 on the IBU scale.

From the looks of it on their website, Revolution beers are only available around Chicago and in the Cleveland area.

My suggestion....if you're anywhere near that part of the country, find Very Mad Cow and DRINK IT!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment