March 07, 2010

Purple Haze from Abita Beer

By Don

I was looking for something different one day at the Wegman's beer coolers.  Since I had just had such a memorable experience with my Blueberry Ale, I think I was in that mood again.  I spotted "Purple Haze" from Abita beer of Abita Springs, Louisiana.  Hendrix, man!  I hadn't shown any love to the South yet, so I thought I'd pick up a six-pack and give it a try.

This one is billed as a "Raspberry Wheat Brew."  The label says it a "malt beverage with raspberries added."

I have to admit, my first reaction was that it was too carbonated.  It almost had a flavored club soda taste to it.  But as I drank more, it's almost like it mellowed or something.

A week or so went by and I lamented over doing my review.  So, I took out another bottle and decided to give it another try.  This time, I drank it straight from the bottle instead of pouring it into my tulip pilsner like I did the first time.  I do like that Abita uses the shorter, fatter 12 oz. bottles.  Makes it seem like more of a soda bottle instead of a beer.

My second try produced a different opinion.  This one was a bit ironic for me.  It hits you with an initial bitter taste, but then leaves a hit of raspberries as the after taste.  I think I liked this one better out of the bottle and after the second tasting, I think Purple Haze would be a good drink in the proper setting.

An 85+ degree day in the summer after you finish mowing the yard and you sit down after a good meal to enjoy some watermelon might be a good opportunity to open up a bottle of Purple Haze.

The Abita website says just 4.2% ABV on this one with an IBU of only 13 and suggests having a Purple Haze at the end of your meal as a dessert.

So, reread this one in mid-July and give Purple Haze a try, you Voodoo Chile you!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment