October 05, 2011

Eliot Ness from Great Lakes Brewing

By Don

It's fitting that I'm posting this review the night after I watched Ken Burns' latest documentary Prohibition.

Eliot Ness was the Director for Public Safety in Cleveland, but was best known for leading The Untouchables who enforced Prohibition laws in Chicago in the 20s and 30s.

We were back in Cleveland recently.  When we were packing up to head back home, my father-in-law said, "Take some of that beer.  I'll never drink it." I grabbed a few out of the fridge and there was an Eliot Ness from Great Lakes Brewing of Cleveland.

Eliot Ness is an Amber Lager.  (I love Amber Lagers!)  It pours to a beautiful Amber color (of course) with a nice thick, "sudsy" head that stuck around for awhile and left some good lacing on the glass.

Eliot Ness has a nice caramel aroma.  It has a "smooth" taste.  I even got some toffee hints at the back of the throat.

It has a coating feeling going down and gives you a bit of a warming feeling going down.

It has an ABV of 6.2% and clocks in at 27 on the IBU scale.

Thankfully, prohibition was repealed and now we have a great Amber lager named after the guy who tried to keep prohibition in effect!

Next time you're on the North Coast of America, pick yourself up some Eliot Ness.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment