October 04, 2010

Old Heathen Imperial Stout from Weyerbacher Brewing Company

By Rick

My mother told me not to be afraid of the dark.

Eddie & The Cruisers sang "On The Dark Side".
Don always tells me: "Don't be afraid to drink dark beer!"

Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton, PA produces a rich dark brew called Old Heather Imperial Stout. Check out their website for more info on this great American stout.

As with most stouts- it pours out a beautiful dark brown w/ an almost mild-chocolaty colored head. Stouts seem to always have nice lacing too- and Old Heathen doesn't disappoint. Even a hophead like me can smell the earthy malt in this brew- and Weyerbacher uses seven different malts in Old Heathen- along with two types of hops!

You'll sense the fullness in this stout as soon as it's in your mouth, but it's heartiness doesn't impair its drinkability. But be careful: it's also a robust 8% ABV! (We don't want that type of impairment either!)

I like the suggestions that Weyerbacher Brewing Company posts on its website RE: food pairings with Old Heathen. The heartier the food- the better the pairing! (Call me nuts, but I think this stout would go well with roasting chestnuts on an open fire- or with any kind of nuts for that matter! And of course: serve Old Heathen with your favorite chocolates!

It's brews like this that will make me want to join Darth Vader (and Don) on the Dark Side!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment