May 25, 2013

Helles Lager from Fordham Brewing

By Rick

One of the great things I like about trying different types of beers is learning a little bit about the history of the beer.  (Dare I say “every pitcher has a story”?!)

Helles Lager was the German version of the increasingly popular (Czech) pilsner beer during the mid-1800s.  This is Fordham Brewing Company’s version of the Munich classic that’s meant for everyday drinking.  Check out their website (www.fordhambrewing.com )to learn more about this Dover, Delaware brewery.

Helles Lager pours a straw-yellow with a proper head.  (Helles is German for “bright/ light colored”.)  I detected mild lacing throughout my sampling and a slightly grassy aroma after pouring.  Although I’m a hop-head, I really like the clean, crisp, effervescent feel of this type of beer in mouth.  Great clean finish too!

This 5.4% ABV brew would pair nicely with lighter foods: perhaps appetizers and/or salad. (How about German potato salad?!)  It’s also the kind of beer that would really taste great on a hot summer day!


Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment