March 29, 2011

Amber Ale from Empire Brewing Company

By Guest Reviewer, Jim Walter of Chittenango, New York

When I started to make the transition from an "all light beer all the time guy" to someone who appreciates craft beer; my beer of choice was Sackets Harbor’s War of 1812 Amber Ale. I drank a lot of it and really enjoyed it. It was my gateway beer to bigger and hoppier times. Now when I walk into a brew pub, the Amber Ales always jump off the menu as something I should try.

Friday afternoon I stopped into the Syracuse, NY location of Empire Brewing Company with two empty growlers in hand. I left an hour later with a few pints in my belly and two full growlers. One of those growlers was their Amber Ale. This beer presents a beautiful rich amber color and pours into a pint glass with a nice frothy head. The beer checks in with an ABV of 5.5%.

Enjoyed out of a pint glass, the aroma of caramel hits the nose and it has a rich malty taste that is balanced out by the bitterness of the hops. The hops are not overpowering like an IPA, and I think that is what makes amber ale a good introduction to craft beers.

Like the Wheat Wine I reviewed earlier, this one is available only in the brew pub in Syracuse, but the will change in 2012 as Empire has plans to build a full scale brewing operation. Until then, if you find yourself on I-81 or I-90 in Syracuse, it would be well worth your time to seek this beer out.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jim! I do love Amber Ales myself. One of my favorites is Troegs' "Hopback Amber Ale." If you can find it up there in Upstate NY, check it out. Troegs only distributes within a 3-hour drive from their brewery in Harrisburg, PA. So, you might find it somewhere near you.
    ~Don

    ReplyDelete